A community offers strength and support. It creates a deeper sense of belonging. A community makes life better.
In my own rural community, I’ve seen how First Responders make life better:
- The Volunteer Firefighter that arrived within minutes of calling for help.
- The Police teddy bear given to my daughter, after witnessing a distressing accident.
- The gathering of neighbours at the annual Firefighters pancake breakfast.
For those personal moments, I am grateful.
Professionally, I am proud to work for an organization that actively contributes to building safe and inclusive communities. Organizing and participating in the May 6K Community Giveaway is a small but impactful way to show my gratitude.
As a Selection Committee member, I have the privilege of reviewing each and every funding request and then share in the difficult decision of selecting recipients.
While the application process is simply filling out a one page entry form on our website, here are some helpful tips to support your submission from the perspective of one selection committee member:
- Tell us your story. Stories share information that can create a connection within a community – we want to know how your team is making life in your community better and how we can provide funding for some extra support.
- Send photographs. They capture a moment in time and can help to convey your message quickly.
- Apply early to benefit from additional funding.
- Promote your community initiative on social media. Tag us so we can share in the excitement!
If you have not had a chance to apply yet and are interested in doing so, click here to submit an entry form.
I thank you for taking the time to apply for funding on behalf of your community. The world needs more volunteers, more teddy bears and more pancakes!
Sarah Heiser, Director of Group Operations